Monday, October 8, 2007

Your Stuck in my Head Song of the Day

First off I'd like to apologize for the suckiness of today, I was just really lethargic and didn't want to write, which was a good thing because I kind of had writer's block.I was going to write about how today Columbus, who unleashed one of the greatest genocides in history is being honored, because it was done in the name of progress it is acceptable, but I didn't want to think that hard or be that passionate. So once I found out today was an actual holiday I decided to term my lack of productivity as either taking advantage of the holiday or protesting it.
And in the spirit of protest Public Enemy's Fight the Power came to me, especially the infamous lyrics
"Elvis was a hero to most
But he never meant shit to me you see
Straight up racist that sucker was
Simple and plain
Motherfuck him and John Wayne
Cause I'm Black and I'm proud
I'm ready and hyped plus I'm amped
Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps
which is how I feel about Columbus- he's no hero to me and then when I started listening to Ice Cube back when he was a militant socially conscious rapper instead of trying to finish houses in family comedies and so that kind of made me go with that first instinct, the instinct that goes back to when Flavor Flav was a hype man sidekick instead of a racial embarassing (and quite entertaining) minstrel. And so here is Your Stuck in my Head Song of the Day, Fight The Power by Public Enemy (and here's the long version of the video- droppin' knowledge you know)

Public Enemy- Fight the Power (mp3)
I'll try to do better tomorrow, I promise.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: