Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Somewhere In Rainbows

I'm sure there are like a million In Rainbow reviews on the internet so that's not what I'm doing. I don't think I've listened to it enough to decide where it is in the pantheon of Radiohead albums but from what my few listens tell me is the songs range from the Songs that Are Brilliant to Songs that I Absolutely Adore (and no you will never hear me say a negative or even non glowing word about Radiohead- unconditional love is my thing)
But what I wanted to do was post a few mp3s of songs that are on the new album, that I've had for awhile in radically different and "in progress" forms.

The most shocking transformation to me was Reckoner. The version that I had has been described by Green Plastic as "thrashy" and angry, which is not what the album version is at all.
Here are the lyrics to the old Reckoner

feeling pulled apart by horses.
fobbed off with lame shite excuses.
feeling pulled apart by horses.

reckoner
papapa
reckoner
papapapa
reckoner
papapapa
reckoner

i've no sons and i have no daughters
feeling pulled apart by horses.
inseckt bites. machine-gun-cameras
your not asleep your not dreaming
this is not a dream. this here is the

reckoner
papapa
reckoner
papapapa
reckoner


You can see how underdeveloped it might seem. The album version blows it away
Reckoner- mp3

Arpeggi was another song that I'd had for a while and while Weird Fishes/Arpeggi isn't totally different the second half of Weird Fishes' Arpeggi takes it to another level. This version is from their first performance of it at the Ether Festival in 2005 and the first couple of dozen times I listened to it I misheard the lyric
Everybody leaves
If they get the chance
And this is my chance
as Everybody Leads, which is a lot more motivational and inspirational but really isn't Radioheadish. Anyway here's the old Arpeggi
Arpeggi -mp3

Here is the solo version of Videotape, which I posted last week in my anticipation of today (along with an mp3 of Down is the New Up, which is on the bonus disc that I don't know how to get)


That is really one of those songs I adore- it's so beautiful and the lyrics:
When I'm at the pearly gates
This will be on my videotape, my videotape
Mephistopheles is just beneath
and he's reaching up to grab me

This is one for the good days
and i have it all here
In red, blue, green
Red, blue, green

You are my center
When i spin away
Out of control on videotape
On videotape
On videotape
On videotape

This is my way of saying goodbye
Because I can't do it face to face
I'm talking to you after it's too late
From my videotape

No matter what happens now
You shouldn't be afraid
Because I know today has been the most perfect day I've ever seen.

and that feeling of talking to someone from a great distance of either time or space or between life and death and trying to remember the beauty that once was, really reminds me of another old Radiohead song A Reminder, which I would have killed to have written

If I get old
I will not give in
But if I do
Remind me of this

Remind me that
Once I was free
Once I was cool
Once I was me

And if I sat down
And crossed my arms
Hold me into
This song

Knock me out
Smash out my brains
If I take a chair
Start to talk shit

If I get old
Remind me of this
That night we kissed
And I really meant it

Whatever happens
If we're still speaking
Pick up the phone
Play me this song.
(mp3)
voicemail and videotape, links to the past as to what we once were and who we once loved.
and finally another song of the bonus disc Last Flowers, which I first fell in love with as Last Flowers Til Hospital. As I mentioned before I don't have the bonus disc (aagh) so I don't know how different it is but as long as it has the same lyrics it must be perfect
Last Flowers (Til Hospital)-mp3

I love this band so much.
such beauty should be outlawed....

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: