Friday, October 12, 2007

Are You the Favorite Person of Anybody?


This video by Miranda July (who is the first survey respondent and the owner of the coolest name ever) really made me think, more so than I like to do on a Friday. I was trying to rack my mind to see if I was the favorite person of anybody. I know for my friends I'm one of their favorites ( or at least I hope), but to be the favorite, the one person who means more to someone and you enjoy more than any other, I know I'm not even close. And though that would be a tremendous honor if I was any one's favorite knowing me that title would freak me out and make me insecure that I need to live up to such high esteem. I would think I'm the favorite person of at least my cats, but then I realized they love whoever finds and holds them. Sluts.

But then as I was thinking about it more I realized that I don't have a favorite person. I have a ton of people I love and who mean the world to me, like a few people from AmeriCorps, Theresa and Hubby but there is no favorite among them. It is such a hard question and in a way if I was able to answer it I think that would be like disrespecting everyone that I didn't pick. Or maybe I would feel the need to pick out their flaws as to why they couldn't be my favorite, which wouldn't be fair at all.

Even if you're in a relationship I don't think that person would necessarily become your favorite, or at least that's how it's been with me in the past. A lot of the times I would rank a friend higher in the grand scale. And if you have a kid, what happens once you have the second? (I've heard) You're not supposed to play favorites.

I don't know, but I'm sure I'll think about the question a lot in the coming days but do you have a favorite person or think you are the favorite person of someone, oh ye mythical reader? I would love to hear about it in the comments. It seems like it would be a wonderful thing to know.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: