Thursday, July 19, 2007

It's The Emmys (and more importantly my picks)

This morning the Emmy nominations were announced and I think this is actually my favorite Emmy related day of the year. I don't actually watch the Emmys, maybe only the red carpet arrival and then probably only through photos the next day but today I like more because I can pontificate and pick who I deem worthy to win, because there's nothing I like more than judging people and things and relative worths. So, as I'm sure you'll see a lot of these things in the coming weeks, let me be among the first to tell you who should win, or that I want to win on...whenever the broadcast is? maybe next month? My picks are bolded, most likely winners are italicized (try saying that word out loud; its pretty sexy)
Via the LA Times:
DRAMA SERIES:
"Boston Legal," ABC
"Grey's Anatomy," ABC
"Heroes," NBC
"House," Fox
"The Sopranos," HBO
I don't think Grey's Anatomy is actually a good show. I think this is a two show category between House and The Sopranos. I think House was maybe the better show but The Sopranos is The Sopranos and I think they will honor it for it being such a phenomenon with one last award before it heads into the .

COMEDY SERIES:
"Entourage," HBO
"The Office," NBC
"30 Rock," NBC
"Ugly Betty," ABC
"Two and a Half Men," CBS
I love 30 Rock, I think its the funniest thing on t.v. but like at the Golden Globes I feel that this is Ugly Betty's year ( they do have 11 noms.) I wouldn't be too upset with them winning though. How the fuck does Two and a Half Men have an audience, much less all these Emmy nominations? WTF?

ACTOR, DRAMA SERIES:
Denis Leary, "Rescue Me," FX
Hugh Laurie, "House," Fox
James Spader, "Boston Legal," HBO
Kiefer Sutherland, "24," Fox
James Gandolfini, "The Sopranos," HBO
Without Hugh Laurie there would be no House. He should, and better, win this.

ACTRESS, DRAMA SERIES:
Kyra Sedgwick, "The Closer," TNT
Sally Field, "Brothers and Sisters," ABC
Mariska Hargitay, "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit," NBC
Edie Falco, "The Sopranos," HBO
Minnie Driver, "The Riches," FX Network
Patricia Arquette, "Medium," NBC
I really like Medium though I'm not sure how many people know about it, and maybe its just because I was raised around that kind of thing but its a great show. I love Patricia Arquette because of that show, but also because she was at the Flaming Lips, Gnarls Barkley and Cat Power New Year's show, wearing weird green make up and slightly wasted with her hubby Thomas Jane as we kinda vacantly stared at each other. Plus she did win this a few years back so maybe she can win again. I wouldn't be mind if Kyra wins though. The Closer is a good little show thats been growing on me and I love her southern belle-ness as well as her being an incredibly strong woman as well. She's perfect for that role and, just like Patricia on Medium, it is a show that revolves around her.

ACTRESS, COMEDY SERIES:
America Ferrera, "Ugly Betty," ABC
Tina Fey, "30 Rock," NBC
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "The New Adventures of Old Christine," CBS
Felicity Huffman, "Desperate Housewives," ABC
Mary Louise Parker, "Weeds," Showtime
I love Tina Fey but she's sort of the straight man on that show. I absolutely adore Mary Louise as a person and as an actress and Julia Louis is the daughter of a Dukie but America is so good and cute on Ugly Betty and I think she'll be a part of the potential Ugly Betty landslide. She deserves it.
ACTOR, COMEDY SERIES:
Tony Shalhoub, "Monk," USA
Alec Baldwin, "30 Rock," NBC
Ricky Gervais, "Extras," HBO
Steve Carell, "The Office," NBC
Charlie Sheen, "Two and a Half Men," CBS
Alec Baldwin makes 30 Rock the best comedy on t.v. He is simply phenomenal. And if you haven't seen the show and haven't seen how good is he watch it. He was simply better than everyone else this year, including Steve Carell, who could surprise me and pull it out.

SUPPORTING ACTOR, COMEDY SERIES:
Jon Cryer, "Two and a Half Men," CBS
Jeremy Piven, "Entourage," HBO
Neil Patrick Harris, "How I Met Your Mother," CBS
Kevin Dillon, "Entourage," HBO
Rainn Wilson, "The Office," NBC
This is the hardest category of them all, and possibly ever. Ari vs. Barney vs. Dwight? No fair, no fair, no fair. (plus Johhny Drama who is always superb) I don't think I can choose so I won't. I love them all. But if Jon Cryer wins it better be the end of the world otherwise I will actually move to that nunnery like I was thinking. A world of chastity and poverty is better than a world where such injustice occurs

SUPPORTING ACTOR, DRAMA SERIES:
William Shatner, "Boston Legal," ABC
Michael Emerson, "Lost," ABC
Terry O'Quinn, "Lost," ABC
Michael Imperioli, "The Sopranos," HBO
T.R. Knight, "Grey's Anatomy," ABC
Masi Oka, "Heroes," NBC
If Isaiah Washington is to be believed T.R. Knight is the greatest actor and Machiavellian since Keyser Soze (a/k/a god) {please please don't watch this clip if you haven't seen The Usual Suspects. Please. You wouldn't understand it anyway probably) so he should win. But Shatner is too good on Boston Legal and I think the voters will love the camp and nostalgia of his win.
[UPDATE: I just found out that Masi Oka went to my high school (class of '92) so he's now my boy and therefore if he doesn't win it will be the greatest of great injustices]
SUPPORTING ACTRESS, DRAMA SERIES:
Rachel Griffiths, "Brothers and Sisters," ABC
Sandra Oh, "Grey's Anatomy," ABC
Chandra Wilson, "Grey's Anatomy," ABC
Katherine Heigl, "Grey's Anatomy," ABC
Aida Turturro, "The Sopranos," HBO
Lorraine Bracco, "The Sopranos," HBO
This one is tough. The odds are that it'll be someone from Grey's and though out of those 3 I like Chandra the most she didn't have a focal or emotional story line as Katherine or Sandra so hmm I'm going to hope Sandra wins (Arliss, hello) but Katherine will probably win (damn that Roswell contingent.)

SUPPORTING ACTRESS, COMEDY SERIES:
Conchata Ferrell, "Two and a Half Men," CBS
Jenna Fischer, "The Office," NBC
Holland Taylor, "Two and a Half Men," CBS
Vanessa Williams, "Ugly Betty," ABC
Jaime Pressly, "My Name is Earl," NBC
Elizabeth Perkins, "Weeds," Showtime
Pam HAS to win. I love her and so does the rest of America, I think. Vanessa Williams may get some love though, as part of the Ugly Betty landslide. And how is Two and a Half Men still on the air and getting multiple nominations in multiple categories?

VARIETY, MUSIC OR COMEDY SERIES:
"The Colbert Report," Comedy Central
"The Daily Show With Jon Stewart ," Comedy Central;
"Late Night With Conan O'Brien," NBC
"Late Show With David Letterman," CBS
C'mon; I'm in Colbert Nation. Plus the Daily Show is getting a little stale (and the audience applauding Jon Stewart's every move is getting irritating), and the correspondents aren't doing it for me. I've never liked Letterman and Conan will never get love. Colbert is hot right now. Let it ride.

(and here is a round up of nominee reactions from Defamer (I'm lazy) )

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: