Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Covers Project

Best Week Ever has a post about the NY Post picking the best 100 Cover Songs of All Time. While I hate the Post, Rupert Murdoch and everything that those two entities represent I do love the concept. One of my favorite playlists on my iTunes is my Song Remains the Same one, where I gather every cover that I have in my library, though I guess I can't really call it a playlist since I would never actually play it in order due to its sheer size (14+ hours), I guess rather that its a collection that amuses me and my music nerdiness as well as letting me play Ms. Junior Detective, but anyway I love covers, especially good ones that actually transcend the original or at least make you think that its not actually a cover but a reimaging or a new infusion with new emotions.
Anyway BWE has their top 10 with youtube video and of course All Along The Watchtower should be number one with Janis covering Kris Kristofferson's Me and Bobby McGee with maybe Aretha Franklin covering Otis Reddings' Respect someplace in the top 5. But I can't be too made cuz camp has its place and I love to be introduced to new music, I just wish this cover would get more attention since it is simply beautiful and even though I have no idea who the singer is I think I like it more than the original.


Here are some other lesser known random covers that I like
Joss Stone- Fell in Love With A Boy [White Stripes]
Antony & The Johnsons- Candy Says ( I cry everytime I hear this) [Velvet Underground]
Nirvana- Where Did You Sleep Last Night (same) [Lead Belly]
Mandy Moore- Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters [Elton John]
Judas Priest- The Green Manalishi (With the Two Pronged Crown )[Fleetwood Mac]
Charlie Hunter with Norah Jones- Day is Done [Nick Drake]
Tori Amos-Real Men [Joe Jackson] {or all of her Strange Little Girls album}
Cat Power and Karen Elson- I Love You, Me Either (Je t'aime...Moi Non Plus) [Serge Gainesbourg & Jane Birkin]
Marie LaForet- Marie Douceur, Marie Colère (Paint It Black) [Rolling Stones]
Cat Power- Moonshiner [Bob Dylan]
Cristina- Is That All There Is? [Peggy Lee]

(I got way too carried away with this post, in case you hadn't noticed)

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: