Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Amazing Anthems

My last few post have been a little wistful but c'est la vie. It was either that or to show what could be a new Chevy commercial (this is ourrr countryyy.) Anyway this just came to me so I decided to list my favorite renditions of the National Anthem, or other songs in the patriotic canon. I'll try to include only songs with video, mostly because I'm lazy and I'm doing this on the fly. Ok let's try this, in no particular order.
Marvin Gaye at the 1983 NBA All-Star Game. This took place in L.A. during Showtime so star power was out the wazoo ( I don't think I wanna know what a wazoo is). Marvin Gaye is so cool when he's singing this, (I'm amazed the cocaine could mellow him out that well) that he can't help but get the crowd into it. Its a shame his dad killed him.

Whitney Houston at the 1991 Super Bowl between Buffalo and the Giants. This was at the height of the patriotic fever over Operation Desert Storm and Whitney was at the peak of her pre drug singing powers. It was a great combination. So it may have been pre taped; whatever. If this is then end result then live singing is incredibly overrated

The Infamous Carl Lewis; Great Track Athlete, horrible everything else, including singer. Here's a small taste of his "tribute" to America(go to about 00:39)


I love this one! This is Roseanne singing the Anthem before I think a Padres game. She got so much shit for this,"disrespecting america" and yada yada, but I thought it was absolutely hilarious, which of course means you should as well. Here's a small clip (and here's the mp3 if you wanna relive it over and over)

This isn't our official anthem but there's no way I could leave Ray Charles off this list. My mom would kill me (if I allowed her to get within 50 feet of reading this blog, of course.) And Hebrew is sweet

And finally, I would feel inadequate and like I wasn't doing my job if I couldn't let you experience "House" singing what may become our anthem, if we dumb ourselves down anymore. It's hilarious and brilliantly simple (and from "A Bit of Fry and Laurie) and proves that Hugh Laurie is really an amazing actor.


Ah, "The States"

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: