Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Just Kidding...

though Paris was a very worthy choice I forgot that Kelly Clarkson's album comes out today! SO this is her day because she's far more worthier. I actually can't believe I forgot about her album with all the talk of the feud between her and Clive Davis being everywhere for the past month, but I did ( I have so fallen off of popular music.) But I seriously love her so I may need to figure out more about what the album is actually about.
So I didn't fall in love with Kelly when everyone else did in 2002 on American Idol because I had no idea what the show was and didn't watch tv during AmeriCorps but I did have a pretty close interaction with her that made me like her. It was on Sept. 11 2002 when our AmeriCorps campus was called to D.C. to hold flags on the step of the Lincoln Memorial and around the reflecting pool. I was on the steps by an air conditioned tent where apparently Kelly Clarkson was. She sang the national anthem, and when she was announced the crowd erupted in excitement. It was a horribly tense day, with every siren bringing a kind of dread to me, but she sang really well and seemed quite humble and overwhelmed and incredibly cute and as happens whenever you meet someone genuine you like them.

She started appearing everywhere and seemed like such a regular girl (so much so that I have like 3 different friends that remind me of her) that you couldn't help but like her and be on her side (as I'm sure you understand. And if you don't, well we're not friends anymore.) I think since she auditioned for, and won American Idol before it was such a phenomenon that she seemed more geniuine and real. Everyone since then may have just been in it for the television exposure and fame; but it seemed like she is and was just a small town girl thankful for everything she's gotten.
Miss Independent broke which was such a guilt pleasure and a great feminist drunken sing along (that even my guy friends sheepishly admit to liking.) Then her song Breakaway came out and I fell in love with it; it was just so breathey and hopeful with like a feeling of freedom and flying. Perfect for a spring day
Then of course was Since You've Been Gone, a song that every guy loves, and most of the time will actually admit! Kelly Clarkson is not considered one of those embarrassing pop artists like Jessica Simpson or whomever. It's a girly female empowerment song, but its so far from sappy plus the video is every ex's fantasy. Since You've Been Gone is such a perfect sing along at the top of your lungs song. That whole album is amazing.


And even as she's become more famous she has become skanky or inspired a backlash, she has just seemingly become more glamourous and more beloved. Plus she is a good person and seems to actually have common sense and morals.
I really hope her new album My December does really well; she's a celebrity I can honestly say I am a fan of ( and I sort of wish I was.) And that all the negativity of late will be brushed aside. I'm just sorry she's not touring right now.

So good luck Kelly and congratulations; you are the Best Band Ever*

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: